Saturday, May 17, 2008

Komen's Race for the Cure, 2008

Last year, my mom and sisters did the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure (http://www.komenslc.org/) - a 5K run (or walk) in SLC that donates its proceeds to research for the cure for Breast Cancer. They had such a great experience, and I thought it was such a great idea! I wanted to participate! But I was two states away, and all the Washington races for the cure were during the day on weekdays - impossible with the work schedule.


But ever since hearing about the race, I'd wanted to take part in it - or at least something like it. Breast Cancer has really affected my little family (My beautiful mother in law, Martha, lost her long battle with it 13 years ago and my beautiful mother, Tammy, is 3 years a survivor), and I wanted to do something to affect IT in return! Kick it's trash by kicking my own on a 5K run!

So this year when Ali told us that the race was coming around again, Bill and I (and Wyatt by default) jumped on board.



We met Mom and Ali in Salt Lake, and the turnout was overwhelming. We began our shuffle with the crowd accross the starting line, and I was moved to tears. I was surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of people who have been affected by Breast Cancer. Everyone (including us) wore a sign on their backs showing who they were walking for - in memory of or in celebration of. It was devastating and wonderful all at the same time.



It was so satisfying to be able to do something; to take action - even a small one - in the battle against the beast.

I plan to do it again next year.

View my Mom and Dad's posting about this event here: http://russandtammycard.blogspot.com/2008/05/race-for-cure-2008.html

3 comments:

Lee, Ashley, Makenzie said...

Steph, I am so glad you raced for the cure. Aren't 5k's awesome. Looks like fun, Lee and I are always looking for a good cause to do a 5K, wish we were in UT. In response to your bath tub question, you can have ours. JK, if you were closer you could have it. We got it at Babies R us, it has a little shower thing to (highly over rated) but the tub and the mesh thing that comes with it are good. You can also get tubs at Target. I liked ours bc its flat, alot of tubs for babies have little creases you stick em in, I have used those, thought they were kind of awkward. Anyways hope that helps. Happy tub hunting, you guys look good. I'm coming in August, I'd love to see you guys.

Lee, Ashley, Makenzie said...

Yeah end of August, the clan includes me and Makenzie. I am sure she will love to eat Wyatt. She loves babies. Lee has to work, but my whole family is going to see my parents new house. So we would love to see you guys I think you are pretty close to them.

Persnickety Prints said...

Steph, that is so COOL! I have never seen pictures of this race! Thanks for posting it! You guys are awesome!

 
Designed by Lena